What Is An Attachment Of Earnings Order?

Bankruptcy Helpline
0800 564 22 11

What Is An Attachment Of Earnings Order?

This section covers attachment of earnings orders.

Have you received an attachment of earnings?

Wondering what you need to do next?

Read on and find out what it means, and how an attachment of earnings order will effect you.

Learn how to stop an attachment of earnings order and what to do with the N56 form.

If you've already got an attachment of earnings we'll show you how you may be able to get it cancelled.

How To Go Bankrupt

Attachment Of Earnings Order

An Attachment of Earnings Order is where someone you owe money to applies to the County Court for an order to allow them to take payments direct from your wages.

However, Councils will apply to the local the Magistrates’ court to make an attachment of earnings order for enforcing payment of council tax arrears.

Attachment of Earnings can only be issued if you are employed and owe more than £50 to your creditors. The Attachment of Earnings Order lasts until the debt is satisfied in full.

If you have received notice of an Attachment of Earnings and need to know how it works, how it will affect your job and the amount you will have deducted from your wages, read our guide and get in touch if you need further help.

See what FREE help you qualify for now?

Check now

Take the online test and find out how to stop or cancel an Attachment Of Earnings Order.

How Does An Attachment Of Earnings Order Work?

If your creditor has issued a County Court Judgment (CCJ) against you and you have fallen behind with at least one payment, and you owe more than £50, your creditor can apply to the court for an Attachment of Earnings. Councils can also apply for an attachment of earnings order if you are behind on your Council Tax payments and they have issued you with a liability order.

If the Court is satisfied that you are behind on Judgement payments it will issue the Attachment of Earnings Order. It is presented to your employer and they are bound to deduct the payment from your wages then send the money to the court.

What Happens With An Attachment Of Earnings Order?

Once your creditor has applied to the court for an Attachment Of Earnings Order you will be sent an N56 form.

The N56 form is a means based form so you will be required to provide your name, address, employment details, your in-comings and outgoings, how many dependents you have and any other creditor commitments you have.

The N56 form allows you to offer a figure you can afford, you should complete this but be sure to include details of any other creditors and the payments you may have.

You must fill out this form and return it within eight days, along with a copy of your most recent wage slip.

If you have received a N56 form from the Court, our team can help you complete it correctly, call our FREE Helpline on 0800 564 22 11 (freephone, including all mobiles).

What Happens if I Don't Send The N56 Form Back?

If you don't send the N56 form back the Court will send bailiff to issue the form by hand. If you fail to return the form after that and the Court believes that you have received the form, they will issue a warrant for your arrest.

Need Debt Advice?

Our panel of specialists can quickly advise you of your options if you have received an Attachment of Earnings notice. Simply call the team FREE on 0800 564 22 11.
Alternatively take the online debt help test and find your best solution.

  • Last updated 16 April 2016

How To Go Bankrupt In Scotland

How To Go Bankrupt In Scotland

  • by Emma
  • January 04, 2016

In order to go bankrupt in Scotland you need to meet slightly different criteria to that in England, Wales or N Ireland. In this guide we explain how to go bankrupt in Scotland....


How long does it take to go bankrupt

How Long Does It Take To Go Bankrupt?

  • by Emma
  • January 07, 2016

So how long does it take to go bankrupt? Bankruptcy can be implemented very quickly but it can vary depending on your individual circumstances...


new financial crisis

Young People Are Facing A Life In Debt

  • by Emma
  • January 06, 2016

The charity Citizens Advice warns that unsecured borrowing is exploding among young adults. With more and more 17-24 year olds facing a future of being trapped in debt...


Contact the Bankruptcy Advice Online Team:

debt helpline 08005642211

0800 564 22 11

(freephone, including all mobiles)
bankruptcy advice

Request A Callback

No time to talk, we'll call you back.
bankruptcy questions

Have A Question?
Ask an expert now.

Check now how to deal with an Attachment Of Earnings Order?

PERSONAL GUARANTEE: Your details will be kept confidential. We will NEVER pass your details on to third parties unless you ask us to. We NEVER cold call or cold text.

More info on hoax calls

You can also get free impartial debt advice by following this link to the Money Advice Service.

BankruptcyAdvice-Online.co.uk © 2015-2016 All right reserved. Made with in Manchester

BankruptcyAdvice-Online.co.uk does not charge you any fees for using our service, all of our network partners will also provide you with a free initial consultation free of charge, to ensure you get the advice you need when you need it.

We will pass your details on to one of our network of our approved Insolvency Practitioners or Debt Advice Charities who will contact you and explain all the options available to you. They will then be able to help you set up a debt solution which is right for you.

The debt solution offered to you by our network will depend on your criteria and circumstances, including how much you owe and how many creditors you owe money to. You need to speak to a debt advisor to obtain a full assessment.

BankruptcyAdvice-Online.co.uk is owned by Money Advice Online Ltd company no. 09554412 (Registered in England and Wales). ICO registration no. ZA116663